br Data availability br The datasets used and
The datasets used and/or analyzed during the current study are available from the corresponding author on reasonable request.
Conflicts of interest
The authors declare that they have no competing interests.
YMJ, JEC, KK, and HSG made substantial contributions to conception and design of study. YMJ, KSC, MSJ, EL, and BKL, made acquisition and analysis of data. YMJ, JEC, and JY made an interpretation of data. JEC and HSG have been involved in drafting and revising the manuscript. All authors approved final version of manuscript.
Appendix A. Supplementary data
1. Martin AN, Das D, Turrentine FE, Bauer TW, Adams RB, Zaydfudim VM. Morbidity and mortality after gastrectomy: identification of modifiable risk factors. J Gastrointest Surg. 2016;20:1554e1564.
2. Xue L, Chen XL, Wei-Han Z, et al. Impact of perioperative blood transfusion on postoperative complications and prognosis of gastric adenocarcinoma patients with different preoperative Brefeldin A value. Gastroenterol Res Pract. 2016:6470857.
3. Lee HJ, Jung DH, Jang YJ, Park SH, Mok YJ. Impact of peri-operative nutrition and transfusion on postoperative compli-cation in gastric surgery. Korean J Clin Oncol. 2016;12:97e103.
4. Keeling D, Tait RC, Watson H, British Committee of Standards for Haematology. Peri-operative management of anti-coagulation and antiplatelet therapy. Br J Haematol. 2016; 175:602e613.
5. White SJW, Cheung ZB, Ye I, et al. Risk factors for periopera-tive blood transfusions in adult spinal deformity surgery. World Neurosurg. 2018;115:e731ee737.
6. Jeong YM, Lee E, Kim KI, et al. Association of pre-operative medication use with post-operative delirium in surgical oncology patients receiving comprehensive geriatric assess-ment. BMC Geriatr. 2016;16:134.
7. Gaudreau JD, Gagnon P, Harel F, Tremblay A, Roy MA. Fast, systematic, and continuous delirium assessment in hospitalized patients: the nursing delirium screening scale. J Pain Symptom Manag. 2005;29:368e375.
9. Douketis JD, Spyropoulos AC, Spencer FA, et al. Perioperative management of antithrombotic therapy: antithrombotic ther-apy and prevention of thrombosis, 9th ed: American College of Chest Physicians Evidence-Based Clinical Practice Guidelines. Chest. 2012;141. e326S-50S.
10. Hall R, Mazer CD. Antiplatelet drugs: a review of their phar-macology and management in the perioperative period. Anesth Analg. 2011;112:292e318.
11. Bell BR, Spyropoulos AC, Douketis JD. Perioperative manage-ment of the direct oral anticoagulants: a case-based review. Hematol Oncol Clin N Am. 2016;3:1073e1084.
13. Zanolo G, Giachetti C, Mascellani G, Magliocca R, Ferrari G. Pharmacokinetic aspect of tritium-labeled glycosaminoglycans (mesoglycan). Their absorption in rat and monkey and tissue distribution in rat. Boll Chim Farm. 1984;123:223e235.
14. Kishi Y, Ohta S, Kasuya N, Sakita S, Ashikaga T, Isobe M. Ibu-dilast: a non-selective PDE inhibitor with multiple actions on blood cells and the vascular wall. Cardiovasc Drug Rev. 2001; 19:215e225.
15. Ogawa K, Ito T, Ban M, Motizuki M, Satake T. Effects of kalli-dinogenase on urinary kallikrein excretion and plasma prosta-noid concentrations in patients with essential hypertension. Experientia. 1986;42:1014e1015.
17. Wiernsperger NF. Serotonin, 5-HT2 receptors, and their blockade by naftidrofuryl: a targeted therapy of vascular dis-eases. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 1994;23:S37eS43.
Please cite this article as: Jeong YM et al., Association between preoperative use of antithrombotic medications and intraoperative transfusion in older patients undergoing cancer surgery, Asian Journal of Surgery, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asjsur.2019.06.005
18. Lagarde M, Guichardant M, Ghazi I, Dechavanne M. Nicergo-line, an anti-aggregating agent which inhibits release of arachidonic acid from human platelet phospholipids. Prosta-glandins. 1980;19:551e557.
19. The American Geriatrics Society 2015 Beers Criteria Update Expert Panel. American Geriatrics Society 2015 updated Beers Criteria for potentially inappropriate medication use in older adults. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2015;63:2227e2246.
21. Reddymasu SC, Soykan I, McCallum RW. Domperidone: review of pharmacology and clinical applications in gastroenterology. Am J Gastroenterol. 2007;102:2036e2045.
23. Kaufman DW, Kelly JP, Rosenberg L, Anderson TE, Mitchell AA. Recent patterns of medication use in the ambulatory adult population of the United States: the Slone survey. JAMA. 2002; 287:337e344.
24. Nightingale G, Hajjar E, Swartz K, Andrel-Sendecki J, Chapman A. Evaluation of a pharmacist-led medication assessment used to identify prevalence of and associations with polypharmacy and potentially inappropriate medication use among ambulatory senior adults with cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2015;33:1453e1459.